The Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean Diet Pyramid is based on the classic Mediterranean lifestyle: a variety of fresh, healthy foods eaten in moderation, with daily physical activity. Research shows a direct link between this healthy diet and a lower incidence of heart and other diseases.
Olive oil is a key part of this healthy way of eating, replacing butter, margarine and other fats. High in monounsaturated fat, olive oil helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol while maintaining HDL (good) cholesterol. And it’s a good source of antioxidants including vitamin E.For more healthy dishes substitute STAR olive oil for butter, margarine, or other vegetable oils. Make an ounce per ounce substitution when a recipe calls for other oils. Replace butter and margarine in any recipe using our conversion chart.
For further information on the Mediterranean Diet, check out these articles:
- LA Times- Mediterranean diet linked to lower risk of Type 2 diabetes
- NPR- More Signs A Mediterranean Diet Helps Prevent Cardiovascular Ills
- Olive Oil Times – Mediterranean Diet in Midlife Results in Better Quality of Life in Old Age
- Olive Oil Times – Mediterranean Diet May Interact with Genes and Prevent Stroke
- Olive Oil Times – More Evidence Mediterranean Diet Protects from Diabetes
- Olive Oil Times – Mediterranean Diet Linked to Less Inflammation
- Olive Oil Times – Mediterranean Diet May Reduce Risk of Kidney Disease
- Food Navigator- Mediterranean diet has ‘lasting’ health benefits, say researchers
- Olive Oil Times – Olive Oil Improves Blood Lipid Profile, Reduces Risk of Heart Disease